Happy First Day of Fall!

by Rachel on September 22, 2010

fall-girl-leaf

It’s officially here, even though the Midwest is experiencing temperatures in the high 80s to low 90s. We’re also experiencing quite a downpour this morning, which makes me glad to be safe and sound in my little music therapy office :)

As sad as I always am to see the summer end, there is so much to look forward to in the fall. I love watching the trees change color, and the cool, crisp air is refreshing after months of heat and humidity. I’m excited about getting out my pumpkin-scented candles, wearing sweaters, and making plans for Thanksgiving (I don’t give much thought to Halloween aside from writing songs about it, because it is my least favorite “holiday”).

I’ve written quite a few fall-themed songs, and I’ll share two of those with you today. “Fall into Fall” is one of the first songs I ever recorded (back when I had an extremely primitive recording set-up) so please disregard the not-so-amazing sound quality.

Fall into fall,
the most colorful season of all.
Orange and gold, red, yellow, and brown,
Leaves are swirling all around.

September, October, November, fall is here.
At the end of December, we know that winter’s near.

Fall into fall,
the most colorful season of all.
Orange and gold, red, yellow, and brown,
Leaves are swirling all around.

Football, and pumpkins, and hayrack rides abound.
Most of the leaves that were once on trees, are now upon the ground.

Fall into fall,
the most colorful season of all.
Orange and gold, red, yellow, and brown,
Leaves are swirling all around.

The air is getting colder, the wind is getting strong.
The days are getting shorter, but we keep on singing this song.

Fall into fall,
the most colorful season of all.
Orange and gold, red, yellow, and brown,
Leaves are swirling all around.

The second song is called “All About Autumn” and was written last year. I thought it was important to use the word “autumn” in a song, since the season goes by both names. It sounds like this:

I want to tell you all about autumn,
That’s another name for fall.
It begins at the end of September,
When the days are short and the trees are tall.

Autumn is a time to change the clocks,
We fall an hour behind.
We get an extra hour to sleep at night,
‘Cause that’s what happens when we rewind.

CHORUS

Autumn is a time for Halloween,
Wearing costumes while we trick-or-treat.
Walking around our neighborhood,
Collecting so much candy to eat.

CHORUS

Autumn is a time for Thanksgiving,
Let’s be thankful for the food on our plate.
And all of the good things in our lives,
With our family, we celebrate.

CHORUS

So there you go: two songs for a brand-new season! Since I sing about the season every day with my students, it’s nice to have two to alternate so that they don’t get too stale. What are your favorite fall-ish songs?

Welcome to the World: Personalized Lullaby Set

Songbook: Tapping, Shaking, Music Making!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Michelle Erfurt September 22, 2010 at 9:06 am

Love “Fall Into Fall” but what is a hayrack?

Rachel September 22, 2010 at 9:11 am

You’ve never heard of a hayrack ride? It’s like a big truck with bales of hay around the bed, where people sit and go on rides in the fall. Probably not many of them in Florida :)

Michelle Erfurt September 22, 2010 at 9:15 am

Ha, ha! I just call those hay rides. :) The ‘rack’ sounds a little medieval to me.

yehia September 22, 2010 at 10:22 am

i like “fall into fall”. it make me feel the fall.

Kristen September 22, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I’m with you, Michelle, I’ve never heard of a hayrack either! :) But I’m from up north & I love hay rides!!

I love to do sensory activities in the fall with fabric leaves & bubbles – with live songs & with recorded classical or jazz tunes, like “Autumn Leaves” or “Tis Autumn” or any of the Autumn songs from Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. :)

Rachel September 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm

LOL well maybe “hayrack” is an Illinois thing then :)

Natalie August 3, 2012 at 1:16 am

Just discovering your blog – really love it! I’m going to teach kids in a music school in France this year so in addition to the French songs, I want to sing a song to them in English and am gathering ideas…. Saw the comments about the word “hayrack”. I understood what it meant as I grew up in Nebraska, however, we just say simply “hay ride” so it may be an Illinois thing as I had never heard “hayrack ride”…. Just my two cents from a fellow former Midwesterner…..

Rachel August 3, 2012 at 7:52 am

Hi Natalie! I’m really glad you came across my blog and like it! Hopefully it’s helpful as you get ready to teach in France. How exciting! I had forgotten about the hayrack vs. hay ride conversation — thank you for contributing :) Enjoy the rest of the summer and best of luck teaching this year!

James September 27, 2012 at 5:43 am

This was great! Thanks. I like doing music or reading a poem before Writer’s Workshop every day so my students can get some ideas about different ways to describe what they are writing about and I came across these songs. They were perfect for language appreciation for my second graders. :) Thanks again.