12 Songs Every Music Therapist Should Know

by Rachel on March 23, 2011

12 Songs Every Music Therapist Should Know

We all know that the contents of our repertoire depend on the populations with which we work. But there are just some songs that transcend populations, and can be used in almost any setting — whether in a school, private practice, nursing facility, hospice care, or otherwise.

Your list might look different from mine, but based on my experience, here are the 12 songs that I think can be used with just about any music therapy client, regardless of age, diagnosis, or ability.

1. “American Pie” – This song is obviously a classic, and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like singing along to the chorus.  It might not be your first pick for a piggybacked children’s goodbye song, but it was mine :)
  2. “Amazing Grace” – It’s most often associated with seniors and hospice patients, though everyone should have a few hymns in their collection.
  3. “Blue Suede Shoes” – My students dig this tune, even though most of them have no clue who Elvis Presley is!  Older clients, of course, are familiar with both him and the song.
  4. “Blue Skies” – I use this as a weather song sometimes, or to give everyone a mood lift.  It has always been one of my favorite songs.
  5. “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” – This one is great for discussing positive feelings, and I use it often as the basis of a songwriting activity.
  6. “The Lion Sleeps Tonight” – Also known as “In the Jungle” or “Wimoweh”, I adapted it for young children and sing the original version on a regular basis.
  7. “Lean on Me” – It’s all about knowing there are people to support you, and that’s applicable to everyone.  Plus, it’s repetitive and easy to sing.
  8. “Ob-La-Di” – Did you know that this song makes an excellent hello song?  I rewrote the words a few years ago, and use it all the time.  Hmm, maybe it will appear in a future Sunday Singalong video!
  9. “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” – I think a lot of people have an emotional connection to this song.  It’s interesting to hear what’s “over the rainbow” for clients who are verbal and capable of abstract thinking.
  10. “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” – Baseball is America’s pastime, right?  It’s fun to bring out this song every spring and hear about everyone’s favorite teams.
  11. “This Little Light of Mine” – I learned this song for my internship interview and have been singing it ever since.  As a movement song, as an inspirational song, and however else I feel like adapting it on a given day.
  12. “You Are My Sunshine” - A traditional song that almost everyone knows.  It’s easy to adapt for just about any client and setting.

Now that I’ve listed 12 songs, I’m realizing that I really could go on and on.  But I want to hear from you: what’s on your list of essential songs for every music therapist, no matter the setting and population?

Welcome to the World: Personalized Lullaby Set

Songbook: Tapping, Shaking, Music Making!

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Kat Fulton March 23, 2011 at 9:47 am

Great list! I’ll add God Bless America to the mix for those patriotic peeps =) But you’re right. There are a million more to add… Looking forward to seeing more songs listed here!

Rachel March 23, 2011 at 10:35 am

Yes, Kat! Thanks for adding a patriotic song – definitely needed on the list!

Tara McConnell March 23, 2011 at 11:19 am

Great list! My list also includes “Stand By Me”, “Let It Be” and “You’ve Got A Friend”…oh so many more…

Rachel March 23, 2011 at 11:26 am

Tara – wow, we must really be on the same wavelength, because all three of those songs were on the original long list that I had to pare down for the post. Awesome :D

Groovygarfoose March 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I would add the Mexican Hat Dance too…I know, no lyrics, but a great call/response song that is easy to adapt all kinds of lyrics. I echo Tara and Kat on their standards too. Great list and additions. I would be interested in seeing your FULL list Rachel. Would you share?? :)

Rachel March 23, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Good one, Bonnie! Yes, I’d love to share my full list – perhaps it will be a L&L Plus goodie :)

Melissa Kidd March 23, 2011 at 3:59 pm

How about “Happy Birthday?” Or is that song a given that everyone knows how to play it?

Rachel March 23, 2011 at 4:03 pm

You’re absolutely right, Melissa! It may or may not be a given. I will say that since I work at a school, I sing this at least a few times a week!

Anne Vitort March 23, 2011 at 6:21 pm

How about the spiritual “Over My Head, There’s Music in the Air”? It’s very adaptable to all kinds of movement activities — parachute, shakers, scarves –

JoAnn Jordan March 24, 2011 at 9:44 am

I imagine we could easily create a top 100 songs here. “She’ll Be Coming ‘Round the Mountain” is one I use in a variety of ways.

Jesse March 24, 2011 at 11:56 am

I’d definitely add If I Had A Hammer, Hey Jude, and Take Me Home Country Roads.

Nicole Sellers October 26, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Rachel, I love to use “somewhere over the rainbow” for all sorts of populations. Its great as an intro to colors with little ones or with elderly clients in a nursing home setting.

Eliana Kissner August 22, 2012 at 9:04 am

Rachel,

What an amazingly informative and generous website you have! Thank you so much! I am thinking about a career in music therapy, and I find your posts so helpful.

All the best.

Risa March 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm

like your list. it will come in had for school. want to ask you some music therapy research questions; is that all right?
Thanks for the insight.